Euphonium oil question

EriKon

Euphonium oil question

Post by EriKon »

Not sure where to put it, but will go for this category:

There is only a short piece of tube from the mouthpiece to the first valve on the Euphonium. Lately I've often noticed that after cleaning and oiling the valves, I can smell the oil through the mouthpiece. Maybe it's just my imagination but sometimes even get some sort of oil taste in the mouth. I don't think this is very healthy in the long run. But I'm wondering if that's normal or is there some kind of maintenance that I'm missing that has to be done to avoid that?

Just for background: I use some sort of LaTromba valve oil (would have to check later at the theatre which one exactly).
BGuttman

Re: Euphonium oil question

Post by BGuttman »

Oils with a lot of volatile organic chemicals will often release a taste or smell through the tubing. Some oil brands have less smell or taste. You may find that a synthetic (silicone) formula has less smell or taste since silicones are not very volatile (volatile means evaporates easily, in case you didn't know).

What are you using as your valve oil now?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

As Bruce said that smell etc is common, I would suggest a better quality valve oil, as your in Germany visit Steve Mead’s website he sells a great valve oil, I use it on my old imperial EEb tuba you need only two or three drops on each valve once a month
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20 am Oils with a lot of volatile organic chemicals will often release a taste or smell through the tubing. Some oil brands have less smell or taste. You may find that a synthetic (silicone) formula has less smell or taste since silicones are not very volatile (volatile means evaporates easily, in case you didn't know).

What are you using as your valve oil now?
Thanks for the insights! I'm using a LaTromba oil right now, I think it's the fast oil (grey/black cap).
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

If the concern is the long term health issues you could also look into Berp BioOil. I believe it was developed with the idea that petroleum based oils might not be healthy to inhale all the time. I tied a bottle once and liked it well enough but it was used on some really well worn in horns. They make different viscosity oils now also.

Return to “Maintenance”